According to a recent Harvard study, most people are sleeping less than six hours a night, and sleep difficulties visit 75% of all people at least a few nights per week. The study outlines 6 reasons to get enough sleep:
- Learning and memory: Sleep helps the brain commit new information to memory.
- Metabolism and weight: Chronic sleep deprivation may cause weight gain by affecting the way our bodies process and store carbohydrates.
- Safety: Sleep debt contributes to a greater tendency to fall asleep during the daytime.
- Mood: Sleep loss may result in irritability, impatience, inability to concentrate, and moodiness.
- Cardiovascular health: Serious sleep disorders have been linked to hypertension, increased stress hormone levels, and irregular heartbeat.
6.Disease: Sleep deprivation alters immune function, including the activity of the body’s killer cells.
I love the confidence of the Psalmist regarding sleep. “I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.” (Ps 3:5) He has full trust in the Lord that he is being sustained my Him. If you are having trouble sleeping try reading the Psalms before you go to bed. These writers had utter confidence in the Lord to provide all things including sleep.